Discovery Bible Groups
Discovery Bible Groups are a core part of our Discipleship Pathway. We invite anyone to participate – whether you are new to Willowdale, new to the faith, disconnected from church community or even if you are in a group but need a reboot to join us.
In Discovery Bible Groups, our hope is that in meeting up with others in small groups we are given a little gift: A tiny glimpse into each other’s heart; a little window into who we are and what makes us tick. We also discover together who God is and how God through His word and spirit can transform us. The transformative effect is the whole goal of these groups. Which is why we say our Discovery Bible Groups are where we are transformed by God’s word together.
How Do Discovery Bible Groups Work?
As the name implies, the foundational text for the group to study is the Bible. We’ll start in the Gospel of Mark this fall. The methodology for our group study is incredibly simple. We will study God’s word together in real time, in small groups of 6 – 8 people in person at the church together. At the heart of our Discovery Bible Groups are four questions that we will bring to every single text we read.
- What do I see of God in this text?
- What do I see of myself and of the human condition in this text?
- What can I obey in this text?
- Who can I share this with?
Now that is so wonderfully basic. We don’t do homework in preparation for meeting. In the group meeting we focus on what you see, and what you feel you can do and share. And your answers don’t have to be profound; often, the simpler the better. We don’t want to get too complicated or sophisticated.
Guiding Principles For Our Groups:
- We bring a “beginner’s mind,” opening ourselves to the text as if for the first time.
- We bring our whole selves to the text. We have nothing to hide, nothing to prove, and no one to impress.
- We are mindful that we are not studying alone. God the Father is speaking; the Lord Jesus is present; the Holy Spirit is illuminating our hearts. He gives us his Word for our healing, nourishment, and guidance.
- We are grateful for the community around us. God may speak to me not only through his Word but through the insights of others, which we welcome.
Where Are the Weekly Gatherings?
- Wednesday Evenings 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. at both campuses.
- Groups forming on January 11. If you are currently not in a Discovery Bible Group, click below to register
WHAT HAPPENS AT THE WEEKLY MEETING?
As the group arrives there will be a brief time for catching up and connecting and then everyone will go to their respective groups for our study and group time.
During the group time the passage for the night will be read aloud by two people, then a third paraphrases the story in their own words.
Now everyone takes about 10 minutes to answer the 4 questions. Then we discuss. The group leader will prompt us question-by-question and we share our thoughts and observations.
We end the meeting with prayer, praying through the text we just read using our P-R-A-Y acronym. Afterward everyone is welcome to hang around for some refreshments and conversation.
Please CLICK HERE if you want to learn more or have questions about Discovery Bible Groups.